Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Something to think about

One of the chief dead-ends in developing my spiritual life is to want to have someone else's spiritual life. If, for instance, I visit a convent one day, or see a monastery on TV, I may find myself thinking, "I wish I could pray like them". But if I am a schoolteacher, or an accountant, or looking after my children all day, then that rhythm of prayer may just not be suited to me. Pray as you can, not as you can't is an obvious maxim, but one that is frequently overlooked, leading to a lot of unrealistic expectations, and frustration.Finding my own rhythm, a way of praying that suits me, may involve some experimentation with times and places and with different styles and approaches. At times I will need to persevere and not give up on something too easily. I also need, however, to be prepared to say, "This doesn't work for me." Finding a way of praying I can sustain is an important step in developing my relationship with God.

From Sacred Space - "Something to Think and Pray About this Week."

Just struck me this am, as I continue to read through other people's advice on how to pray and worship - in two ways.

First, not to expect to have the same experience as someone else.

Second, to keep at it.

No comments: