Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day, 2009

It's official. The year of no clothes shopping has ended. As I started the new year off with a very light day of work - only five patients, I headed straight out to the Island, first to Panera, where I had the tomato soup that I got hooked on during NaNoWriMo, and then to EMS where I broke my fast in style.

First I bought the thing I needed most since early fall - a new raincoat. My old one, which you can ring water out of, is now in the trash.




Waterproof, breathable, and not in a girly pastel color!

Next I bought a soft shell to go with it:



It's darker than it looks.

And not clothes but I needed a new travel wallet:



Then I came home and went online on Title Nine and bought a pair of pants, a tee shirt and two pairs of socks. Now I am all set for the rest of winter and my trip to Britain in two weeks.

I bagged for the thrift shop at my parents' church:

1 pair cords, a sweater, two fleece jackets and a shirt I never really liked and only wore I think once. As well as the old rain coat I pitched my old travel wallet which was all dirty and never fit my passport properly anyway.

What I learned from this past year:

1. I don't really like clothes shopping. It didn't leave much of a void, if any. And if there was it filled very very quickly.

2. I'd rather have one shirt I abolutely love than ten cheap ones I don't really like.

3. two pairs of jeans are enough.

4. when i find something I really do love, I don't need to go buy four more.

5. sewing is fun. I hope to eventually move on to things that can be worn out of the house, but at the very least I will never have to buy pajamas again.

That's about all I can think of at the moment!

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I learned: (1) that I don't even think about going shopping if I never go to the mall -- I didn't go to the mall all year so no temptation; and (2) getting clothes for gifts on my birthday and Christmas is enough. Don't need to buy them other times as well. Now, if I could only accomplish sewing! My sundress fabric is still waiting...